Dog Trivia, Fun Facts and More
Dog trivia, facts, tips and tricky questions could easily be the highlight of any fun gathering with dog lovers and owners, friends and family. Trivia questions are the basis for many different game shows on television and also for many board games (remember Trivial Pursuit?).
These trivia questions could also be helpful when used at any dog related event such as a dog show, dog related fund raiser, etc. Dog trivia always proves itself as a fun no muss, no fuss game that everyone likes to participate in and the questions below will easily help make your gathering a hit.
Test your knowledge of all things dog with a wide variety of dog breed questions. Pedigreedpups.com's dog trivia section is your one stop for many different kinds of dog related trivia.
Feel free to use any of the dog trivia questions below as party icebreakers at your next dog gathering or event. We will add more dog breed trivia questions as time permits.
Dog Trivia Questions and Fun Facts
1. Which dog breeds named below have webbed feet? (Tip: Breeds that work in the water tend to have webbed feet.)
a. Field Spaniel, German Wirehaired Pointer, German Shorthaired Pointer
b. Newfoundland, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Portuguese Water Dog
c. Catahoula Leopard Dog, Otterhound
d. Labrador Retriever, Poodle, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
e. all of the above
2. Which purebred dog breed is named after Palestine?
a. Canaan Dog
b. Belgian Shepherd
c. The Komondor
d. Afghan Hound
6. What dog breed has the heaviest dog on record?
| | 3. Which country is "The Dog Fence"(AKA Dingo Barrier Fence), the world's longest fence, located in?
c. South America
4. What is the name of the dog sport where teams of 4 dogs relay race over a series of 4 hurdles, jump the hurdles, catch a ball when stepping on a spring loaded box, then run back over the hurdles to release the next dog?
d. Lure Coursing
5. What breed of dog is the official mascot of the University of Tennessee football team?
a. Labrador Retriever
b. Blue Tick Coonhound
c. Australian Cattle Dog
d. Rat Terrier
a. Old English Mastiff
b. Neopolitan Mastiff
c. Great Dane
d. Saint Bernard
7. What is the official State Dog of North Carolina?
a. The Bedlington Terrier
b. The Chinese Crested
c. The Plott Hound
d. Blue Tick Coonhound
11.Dalmations, with all those cute black spots, are born what color?
| | 8. What purebred dog breed was originally known as the Rothbury Terrier.
a. Rat Terrier
b. Bedlington Terrier
d. Akbash Dog
9. According to the Guiness Book of World Records, the oldest reliably recorded age for a dog is an Australian Cattle Dog that lived was for how long?
a. Just over 29 years
b. Just over 14 years
c. Just over 19 years
d. Just over 22 years
10. Which dog breed was formerly known as the St. John's Newfoundland?
a. Golden Retriever
b. Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
c. Labrador Retriever
d. Flat Coated Retriever
12.What is the name of the dog from "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas"?
17. Contrary to popular belief, dogs do not sweat by salivating. Where do they sweat at?
| | 13. What is the smallest breed of dog recognized by the American Kennel Club?
b. Toy Fox Terrier
c. Lhasa Apso
d. Miniature Pinscher
14. How did the Rhodesian Ridgeback get its name?
a. Because they have an actual ridge along the top of their backs, which is made up of sideways-growing hairs.
b. Because they have an actual ridge along the top of their backs, which is made up of forward-growing hairs.
15. What is the largest breed of dog recognized by the American Kennel Club?
a. Alaskan Malamute
c. Irish Wolfhound
16. Why do dogs and wolves yawn?
a. As a sign of contentment.
b. As a sign of boredom.
c. As a sign of submission.
a. The inside of their ears
b. The pads of their feet
c. The inside of their mouths
18. Every known dog breed except this one has a pink tongue.
b. Alaskan Malamute
19. What is the smallest breed of dog used for hunting?
a. Cocker Spaniel
c. Afghan Hound
24. What is the name of the dog on the Cracker Jack box?
| | 20. What breed is known as the smallest member of the sporting-dog family?
a. Cocker Spaniel
b. Golden Retriever
c. Labrador Retriever
21. What dog breed does not bark but does make yodelling noises?
c. Bassett Hound
22. Dogs are mentioned at least this many times in the Bible.
23. What dog breed appeared in the Guinness book of world records as the rarest dog in the world for three consecutive years in the very early 1970's?
25. What dog breed gets its name because it strikes out with its front paws when fighting?
26. There are 4 types of Belgian Shepherd dogs. Name them.
27. In Latin, what does Fido mean?
a. I am faithful
b. Beware of dog
c. Keep away
28. What was the name of cowboy Roy Rogers' dog?
29. What is the name of Superman's dog?
30. What is the only breed of dog that "blushes". They do this when they are excited or happy; and their ears, nose and eyes become pink.
a. Afghan Hound
b. Pharaoh Hounds
c. Basset Hound
More Dog Trivia Coming Soon
Dog Trivia Answers (to the Dog Trivia Questions Above)
1.e, 2.a, 3.b, 4.c, 5.b, 6.a, 7.c, 8.b, 9.a, 10.c, 11.a, 12.b, 13.a, 14.b, 15.c, 16.a, 17.b, 18.c, 19.b, 20.a, 21.b, 22.a, 23.b, 24.b, 25.c, 26. Groenendael, Tervueren, Malinois, and Laekenois, 27. a, 28. b, 29. c, 30. b
Check back with us in the future for more dog trivia questions to be added as soon as we get the chance. Feel free to use any of these dog trivia questions at your next gathering of friends or family.
Return from Dog Trivia to Dog Home Health Exams
A dog wags its tail with its heart" - Martin Buxbaum