Dog Breed of the Month - October 2011
Purebred Dog Breed of the Month
• The Standard Schnauzer is the oldest of the 3 schnauzer dog breeds.
• There are many jobs that these dogs can do such as: watchdog, hunting, agility, livestock guardians, tracking, vermin hunter, retrieving, guarding, military work, obedience, and trick performer.
• This smaller sized dog breed is also known as the Mittelschnauzer.
• In Germany, where these dogs originated, the name "Schnauzer" came from the German word "Schnauze", which literally means "muzzle".
• These handsome little dogs, well known for their distinctive heads, beards and eyebrows are typically very energetic, spunky, and extremely playful.
• The typical life expectancy for the Standard Schnauzer dog breed is usually around 13 to 15 years.
• Keep in mind the time that grooming will take to keep their coat in tip top shape.
More Breed of Month
• These handsome dogs can make really great family pets as long as they are in the right home and treated with respect.
Facts and Information
• Schnauzers come in different colors such as solid black and salt and pepper.
• As with all dog breeds, socialization is highly suggested for this energetic and curious little dog - especially while young.
• These little dogs do need lots of exercise - so don't let the smaller size fool you.
• Do NOT leave these dogs unsupervised around smaller pets such as rats, hamsters, snakes, etc. - remember, they have been bred for centuries to help chase down and kill small animals which they consider vermin to be eradicated.
• These dogs can be yappy but make great guard and watch dogs.
FREE Gifts from Collectibles Today - up to $65 Value!
"Our dog died from licking our wedding picture." -- Phyllis Diller
For more detailed information about this months
Dog Breed of Month, please visit:
More Standard Schnauzer Info
Feel free to visit our past Breeds of the Month:
September 2010 dog breed of month - Komondor
October 2010 dog breed of month - Dalmatian
November 2010 dog breed of month - Norwegian Elkhound
Dog Breed of the Month Dec 2010 - Field Spaniel
Dog Breed of the Month January 2011 - Tibetan Spaniel
Dog Breed of the Month February 2011 - Finnish Spitz
Dog Breed of Month - March 2011 - Miniature Bull Terrier
Dog Breed of Month - April 2011 - Scottish Deerhound
May 2011 Dog Breed of Month - The Borzoi
June 2011 Dog Breed of Month - The Fox Terrier
July 2011 Dog Breed of Month - The Italian Greyhound
August 2011 Dog Breed of Month - Norwich Terrier
Dog Breed of the Month - September 2011 The Silky Terrier
Return from Dog Breed of the Month to Purebreed Dog Breed Blog