Dog Breed of the Month - June 2011
Purebred Dog Breed of the Month
The Fox Terrier
• The Fox Terrier dog breed really consists of two different dog breeds - the Smooth Fox Terrier and also the Wire Fox Terrier.
• These energetic little dogs can make really great family pets - in the right home.
• They are mostly white in color with patches of either tan or black.
• These handsome little dogs are typically very energetic, fiesty, brave and enthusiastic.
• Fox Terriers are very intelligent too and can become bored very easily so be advised. Make sure you have lots of toys and mental stimulation planned at all times.
• Do not leave these dogs unsupervised with smaller pets such as rats, hamsters, etc. - remember, they were originally bred to help eradicate vermin such as rats and the like.
• The typical life expectancy for this fiesty little dog is usually around 15 years or so.
• Socialization is also highly suggested for this dog breed - especially while young and around other kinds of pets.
• They can be yappy but do make great alert dogs to new things in their territories because of their barking.
• Both the the Smooth Fox Terrier and the Wire Fox Terrier do need lots of exercise - so don't let their smaller size fool you - overall this is a very active and hyper little dog breed.
• Note: Any owners considering choosing one of these dogs needs to be aware that any of these dogs needs to have a very firm "pack leader" who is surely in control. Otherwise, these little dogs will easily take control if they feel their owner is not a good and firm leader.
Return from Fox Terriers Dog Breed of the Month to Dog Diet Tips
"Our dog died from licking our wedding picture." -- Phyllis Diller