Dog Breed of the Month - April 2011
Purebred Dog Breed of the Month
• The Scottish Deerhound was originally developed to hunt large game, such as deer.
• The Deerhound is also a great family pet.
• Color wise, these dogs typically are shades of blue-gray, even though other colors and shadings, even brindle, was seen in these dogs years and years ago.
• These handsome dogs are typically very happy, friendly, and docile animals that love their families.
• These extremely tall dogs are also about 30 to 32 inches tall and between 90 to 130 pounds in weight.
• The typical life expectancy for this large dog is usually between about 8 to 9 years.
• Socialization is also very essential for this animal.
• These dogs have a wiry, messy looking coat, a moustache and bushy eyebrows that almost makes them look a bit like my grandpa.
• Note: Be aware that these dogs are prone to cardiomyopathy, osteosarcoma and bloat too.
Return from Dog Breed of the Month - April 2011 to AKC Dog Breed Groups
"The dog is the god of frolic." -- Henry Ward Beecher