September 2010 dog breed of month - Komondor
September 2010 Dog Breed of Month - Komondor
• The Komondor is a very unique dog breed, and not one you see every day.
Color wise, the Komondor comes in one basic color: solid white - although it's coat may appear off white if it's a working dog and outside in the elements.
They are probably best known for their characteristic long corded coat which looks like dreadlocks - some people have even described them as looking almost "mop-like".
• These dogs are very intelligent and need daily exercise!
• Keep in mind that these are dogs have a tremendous natural guardian instinct - in fact that is their main position on most working farms or ranches - as a flock guardian.
• Socialization and training from an early age is essential for this dog breed.
• The overall life expectancy for this dog breed is usually about 10–12 years.
• The Komondor is generally credited as being a Hungarian dog breed.
• Did you know that once bathed, one of these dogs coats can take up to 3 days to dry completely?
Return from September 2010 Dog Breed of Month - Komondor to AKC Herding Dog Group
"Rambunctious, rumbustious, delinquent dogs become angelic when sitting." -- Dr. Ian Dunbar