Dog Breed of the Month - May 2011
Purebred Dog Breed of the Month
More Breed of the Month Facts and Information
• The Borzoi was originally developed to hunt large game on broad, open terrains, instead of by scent like many other hound breeds.
• These gorgeous dogs can make really great family pets.
• They are also often referred to as the Russian wolfhound.
• These elegant and graceful and handsome dogs are typically very docile, reserved and gentle animals that love their families very much.
• These lithe, graceful and extremely tall dogs are also about 26 to 30 inches tall and around 100 pounds or so in weight.
• The typical life expectancy for this large dog breed is usually somewhere between about 8 to 10 years of age.
• Socialization, just as with any dog, is also highly suggested for this dog breed.
• These beautiful dogs can come in almost any coat color and have longer, flat, wavy fur on the top of their bodies with a shorter soft undercoat underneath.
• Note: Be aware that these kinds of deep chested dogs can easily be prone to gastric torsion and bloat too and many owners feed their Borzoi from a raised dish to help prevent this from happening to their own individual dogs.
Return from May 2011 Dog Breed of Month to Hound Dog Breed Group
"I never married because I have three pets at home that answer the same purpose as a husband. I have a dog that growls every morning, a parrot that swears all afternoon, and a cat that comes home late at night." -- Marie Corelli