Dog Breed of the Month - February 2011
Dog Breed of the Month - Finnish Spitz
• The Finnish Spitz is an old dog breed and the national dog breed of Finland.
• Color wise, these dogs typically are a golden red color ranging from a pale honey color to a darker chestnut color.
• These dogs are typically very happy, active, and alert.
• This dog breed is also a great family companion dog but are also used as a hunting dog still in Finland.
• These cute little dogs are also about 18 inches tall and between 40 - 50 pounds in weight.
• Socialization from an early age is also very essential for this dog breed.
• The overall life expectancy for this particular dog breed is usually between 12 – 15 years.
• It is interesting to note that these dogs bark at just about anything they consider "out of the ordinary".
• Note: In Finland the Finnish Spitz dog breed is nicknamed the "barking bird dog" - so be prepared for a lot of barking if you get one of these dogs.
Return from Dog Breed of the Month - Finnish Spitz to AKC Dog Breed Groups
"I bought my grandmother a Seeing Eye dog. But he's a little sadistic. He does impressions of cars screeching to a halt." - Larry Amoros